Plans Were Going Smoothly

It is amazing how nicely our plans were developing. We have our passports, booked our flights, and reserved our rooms. We were talking about our packing lists and other online things we needed to be sure to do. We even considered the things we would leave at home and buy once we were on the trail. It was all smooth sailing for us.

Then I received the text from my daughter. The airlines we booked to get to Paris canceled our flight. They offered us one to get there the day after we were planning to arrive. This would not work for us because we would have to rearrange two weeks of bookings that took us over two hours to make. So the search began again.

We were afraid that the rates would have increased quite a bit from what we paid. We were also afraid that we would have to change entry locations. However, after some research, my daughter was able to find us a flight that would only cost $179 more than previously planned. This new airlines did charge us for the ticket and then for the seats though. It is interesting what we are learning about air travel in this day and age.

We now have an extra day at the beginning of our trip and will be touring Paris together. We will have to determine what we want to see there.


We Reserved Rooms

When talking about the trip, we decided that we wanted to plan as we went, only booking rooms the day before if we could. However, with the growing popularity of the Camino and the restrictions from Covid, we had heard that it would be best to reserve rooms at least in the cities and at the main starting points. So, that is what we did. We booked rooms for the first two weeks and the last one of our trip. Already there were places booked and some with limited space available.

We will be checking availability for the rest of our trip later on. We are hoping that we can leave the booking for when we are actually on the hike. This way we will be more flexible with when and where we stop.

In booking our rooms, we discovered that the prices are rising. We had been hearing that beds and rooms run from 10-20 Euros. However, much of what we encountered was about 30-40 Euros. Knowing this is helping up with our budgeting process. We are aware that if the room rates are increasing, everything else will be too.

Making the reservations has really shown us how much of our time we will be hiking. There won’t be many days to be sightseeing on either end of the trip. Since we had both been to Paris before, we didn’t feel the need to stay there long, so we planned for us to take the train to St Jean the very next day. Following that we will have our first day on the trail. We will take a short first day since it will be climbing for the entire section. On the other end of the trip, we will have a day to visit Santiago and a day at the ocean. That is, of course, if we keep to our schedule.